The goal of our Orange County weight loss surgery program is to achieve not just good, but excellent, industry-leading patient outcomes. We want our outcomes statistics (weight loss results, complication rates) to rank among the best anywhere. How do we accomplish this? By always delivering excellent, high-quality surgery and patient care.*
Our Orange County Weight Loss Surgery Program
Weight loss surgery is a service (and an art) that encompasses the operation and the associated patient care. Our approach for delivering the best possible surgery and the best possible patient care is as follows:
- Premier Surgeon – Dr. Oliak is a leading bariatric surgeon with an established record (3000 bariatric operations since 2002) of excellent, industry-leading patient outcomes.*
- Excellent Surgery – Dr. Oliak is a perfectionist about surgery. Every step of every operation needs to be as perfect as possible. In addition, he uses a specific measuring technique to achieve highly consistent and exact surgical anatomy (e.g. sleeve dimensions, size, shape). This approach takes significantly longer (typical sleeve operation 2 hours), but the ultimate result is better patient outcomes.*
- Top-Notch Surgical Team – We utilize an experienced and proven surgical team. The two most important team members, after the surgeon, are the anesthesiologist and assistant surgeon. Both have worked with Dr. Oliak for >10 years.
- Best/Safest Surgical Facilities – We utilize accredited ASMBS (American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery) bariatric surgery center of excellence hospitals, not outpatient surgery centers.
- Thorough Education – Weight loss surgery is ultimately a tool that must be used appropriately to achieve maximal success. We prioritize thorough preoperative and postoperative education to ensure that patients know exactly how to be maximally successful.
- Frequent Follow-Up – We prioritize frequent postoperative follow-up appointments as necessary with Dr. Oliak after surgery to help ensure maximal weight loss success.
- Competitive Prices – We offer competitive prices and attractive financing options through CareCredit.
- **Great Outcomes** – The most important quality measure for a surgeon/program is the surgeon’s/program’s record of actual patient outcomes. Our weight loss and complication statistics (3000 weight loss operations since 2002) rank among the best in the weight loss surgery field.* To read more about our outcomes statistics, see our outcomes page.
Other Weight Loss Surgery Programs
Not all weight loss surgery programs provide a high quality of service. Lower quality programs often have the following characteristics:
- Surgeon – Less experienced, less skilled surgeons, or surgeons with experience but without a proven record of good outcomes. The individual surgeon is a strong predictor of patient outcomes after surgery (reference), so compromising on surgeon quality is a risky decision.*
- Inferior surgery – A focus on speed of surgery and number of operations instead of quality. It simply takes longer to provide higher quality surgery and patient care. Beware – there is a strong financial incentive for surgeons and programs to prioritize speed of surgery and number of operations, and there is little accountability for quality.
- Anesthesiologists with less bariatric surgery experience/skill.
- No assistant surgeon, or using the surgical tech as the assistant.
- Minimal preoperative preparation/education.
- Lack of postoperative follow-up.
- No documented record of surgeon/program weight loss/complication statistics.