Payment options for our Orange County weight loss surgery program include PPO insurance and self-pay. We also accept Medicare patients on a case-by-case basis. We generally don’t accept HMO insurance or MediCal insurance. If you are a self-pay patient, please see our bariatric surgery self-pay page.
You can use your PPO insurance to pay for surgery with Dr. Oliak if your policy covers weight loss surgery and if you meet your policy’s criteria for surgery. Weight loss surgery is often a covered benefit, but not always. We will do a free insurance verification to check your insurance benefits before your consultation.
There are several required out-of-pocket costs, including co-pays, co-insurance, and deductibles. Out-of-pocket costs vary over a wide range (average 3k – >10k) depending on the specifics of insurance coverage. We will provide you with an estimate of all out-of-pocket costs on the day of your consultation.
If you meet your insurance policy’s criteria for surgery, we will schedule you for the required tests/evaluations, and if required, complete a medically supervised weight loss program with you. Once all insurance requirements are completed, we will submit the necessary information to your insurance company and obtain an authorization for weight loss surgery.
With PPO insurance, you can choose the surgeon/program that you think is the best. Because outcomes vary between different surgeons/programs, choosing the right surgeon/program is an important decision.
More about outcomes
We believe that the most important characteristic of any surgeon/program is the surgeon’s/program’s record of actual patient outcomes, meaning actual weight loss statistics and complication statistics. Our Orange County weight loss surgery program has an established record of excellent, industry-leading patient outcomes.* The way we have achieved this record is by always prioritizing excellent surgery and quality patient care. Features of our program are as follows:
- Premier Surgeon – Dr. Oliak is a leading bariatric surgeon who is experienced (>2500 operations since 2002), and who has an established record of excellent, industry-leading patient outcomes.*
- Top-Notch Surgical Team – We utilize an experienced and proven surgical team. The two most important team members, after the surgeon, are the anesthesiologist and assistant surgeon, and both have worked with Dr. Oliak for >10 years.
- Best/Safest Surgical Facilities – We utilize accredited ASMBS (American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery) bariatric surgery center of excellence hospitals, not outpatient surgery centers.
- Education – Weight loss surgery is ultimately a tool that must be used appropriately to achieve maximal success. We prioritize thorough preoperative and postoperative education to ensure that patients know exactly how to be maximally successful.
- Follow-Up – We prioritize frequent follow-up appointments with Dr. Oliak during the first year after surgery to help ensure appropriate weight loss success so goal weight is achieved at 12-15 months postop.
- **Most Important** – We have an established track record of excellent, industry-leading patient outcomes. Our weight loss statistics and complication statistics rank among the best in the weight loss surgery field.*
Other Weight Loss Surgery Programs
It is important to understand that weight loss surgery is a service, and not a standardized, commodity product. Quality of service varies. Published studies prove this by showing that outcomes – weight loss results, complication rates – vary over a large range between different surgeons and programs.*
Lower quality programs often have the following characteristics:
- Less experienced, less skilled, less proven surgeons. The individual surgeon is the #1 predictor of patient outcomes after surgery (reference), so compromising on surgeon quality is a risky decision.
- A focus on volume instead of quality. It simply takes longer to provide higher quality surgery and patient care.
- Less experienced/skilled anesthesiologists.
- No assistant surgeon, or using the surgical tech as the assistant.
- Minimal preoperative preparation/education.
- Lack of postoperative follow-up.
- No documented record of surgeon/program weight loss/complication statistics.
Learn More About Our Orange County Program
* Outcomes vary after weight loss surgery. Past outcomes may not be indicative of future outcomes.